Monday, April 27, 2009

Keeping Christian Kids Christians

Many times over the past fifteen years I have been asked the question "how do yo keep your kids so balanced or how do you get them to behave so honorably?" My answer has always remained the same to parents. My husband and I set the standard and never let our kids pull it down. This actually works for Christians and non-Christians.


In our home, we have always let the Bible be our standard and we have made every adjustment needed to keep that standard. This is how you maintain a Christian environment in your home.

In my experience, I have mostly found that many parents and children are simply not willing to adjust their lifestyles and behavior to live as Christ; and that's how families find theirselves off balance. The Bible is filled with principles and values that keep our lives balanced but if these values are continually compromised then you really don't have a standard or value to live by. As a result, the family unit becomes more individually-focused. It becomes every man or woman for himself because each individual in the home now has their own way of living. At this point, most Christian children becomes extremely rebellious. They begin to turn to the world for guidance, support, and identity. Why? Because the world has a standard to live by.



Ever thought about that? Most Christians will tell you that the world has no standards, because of the lawlessness that is so prevalent in today's society. I beg to differ. I say that lawlessness is a standard. I say liberalism is a standard. I say rebellion is a standard because a standard is defined as a rule or principle that is used as a basis for comparison or judgment. Hollywood may seem immoral but there are plenty of standards in place; this leads me to my next thought.



The only other thing that seems to be worse than having no standard, is having more too many. That is confusing for any human being, especially children. They need to have consistent moral support and guidance which gives a strong sense of identity in Christ. The Bible is the only thing needed to produce strong morals for a family to soundly grow together.
photo by Akuman1

No comments:

Post a Comment